Myles Sanderson was the only killer in Canada mass stabbings, and his brother was a victim, police say.
Canadian police say they believe the same killer may have a connection to the other stabbings there on Friday, a day after a man was attacked inside a Toronto restaurant.
Police say they have an unconfirmed connection to a third attack in Quebec, where there was a four-hour mass stabbing while teenagers were watching a ball game on Thursday night.
The police investigation into Thursday’s attacks in Toronto and Montreal remains ongoing but officials are urging anyone with any information to call their non-emergency number at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).
Tension has been mounting in the capital city of Quebec after the bodies of three young people were found at a shopping centre in the southern Quebec city of Val-d’Or.
Officials in both cities released identical statements late on Friday, offering condolences to the victims’ families and offering security tips to help them deal with the threat of a potential new wave of violence.
There are reports that the prime minister’s office has ordered increased street patrols and increased security measures across the country.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told reporters in Winnipeg on Saturday afternoon that he has been in contact with Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard and spoke to his police minister and the RCMP regarding a potential increase in security in the province.
“I know we are all upset and distraught but violence is not how we move forward in Canada,” Trudeau said. “We want to make sure we build on the relationship and we build on the safety of Canadians.”
Police in the western city of Winnipeg issued a number of safety tips for the weekend, including giving the public a chance to report unusual or suspicious activity such as an abandoned car with an open window, an abandoned vehicle or suspicious packages.
Police have urged anyone who sees any suspicious objects or persons on social media to call 911 and make their report immediately.
A spokesperson for the Winnipeg Police Service said they were unable to confirm whether the two attacks are connected or whether there is a common suspect in both cities.
Police have not released a motive or a cause of the attacks but said they believe it likely had a gang component, but not necessarily a gang member committing the crimes.
In the southern Quebec city of Val-d’Or, the city hospital where the three victims were found had already received a number